If you have ever wondered, "What would Michael Gray think about this-and-that" or "I'd like to consult Michael on such-and-such" then you have definitely come to the right place. These are my thoughts on life.

November 10, 2004

And the 2001 Idiot of the Year Award goes to...

This is an old article from my college newspaper. This is the first publication that got my goat enough that I had to write a response to it. In fact, the entry following this one marks my very first experience of sending a letter to the editor of anything. This was my initiation. More like an intellectual hazing really.

"Three different reactions to prank incident discipline"
April 18, 2001 -- Canyon Echoes

It was the Fourth of July all over again.

Bang...Boom...Bang!

That was the sound heard repeatedly through the course of the early morning Monday, Feb. 15.Echoing thunder of what sounded like gunfire awoke residents from the comfort of their apartments.

The campus reacted at this late hour with curiosity. Lights flickered on and the sound of 'roman candles', 'bottle rockets', and 'black cats' filled the air.

Members of Security, Residence Life, and even concerned students raced around campus to find the source of the ruckus.

But the place of origin was undeterminable. A boom could be heard over by Ethington Theatre, which was followed by more near the pool seconds later. The ubiqitous roar was running people rampant and turned the campus in cahoots.

After a few more explosions, members of Security had apprehended a suspect. SALT drummer was found fleeing by environmental services.

"I got caught by security and my roommates were implicated," said . "There was no evidence against them."

Sophomore David Crawford and former Student Director of Intramurals Keith Thompson also admitted to the fiasco.

"They didn't even catch me," Thompson said. "They caught running around and saw him get into a car; that's all they saw."

"They (Student Life) pulled them ( and Crawford) in and pulled me in because I'm their roommate and they asked if I was involved. I told them I was because I didn't want to lie," Thompson said.

It is rumored that about 15 other people were involved in the incident.

"It was intended to be a prank. It wasn't intended to scare anyone," he added.

said, "Our university actually looked like a college campus for the first time because there were people out after nine o'clock."

Crawford drove the getaway car and figured he'd been caught.

"I assumed they took my license plate number," he said. "A few days later, Student Life called and wanted to see me."

The humor of the tomfoolery was lost on the university.

Dave McKinley, dean of students, would not comment on any aspects of this specific case.

On page 14 of the student handbook, "tampering with fire equipment" is listed under major violations. First-time violators will receive 10 hours of community service, while 20 hours will be assigned after the second violation, according to the handbook.

The students were each given a major violation and 40 hours of community service. Thompson was released from his position as Student Director of Intramurals and was asked to leave his position on the SALT band by leader Justin Gramm.

"In college, you are going to have pranks," Gramm said. "The whole thing was just bad timing with the SALT cancellation a few weeks ago."

Director of Baptist Student Ministries Jeff Jimmerson refrained to comment.

"I did something that was against the rules and I've accepted the punishment," Crawford said. "It was within the bounds of what they (Student Life) could do."

Thompson said of his dismissal by McKinley, "I thought he was joking at first. He (McKinley) wants people on his team to be held to higher standards."

"I don't feel the punishment was fair," Thompson added. "I've never heard of anybody getting 40 hours before."

Because he was given this punishment, Thompson agreed to fulfill his part.

"I don't think people are going to think I'm less of a leader because of this," he said. thought this was an excuse to rid him of his duties as SALT's drummer. He described the matter as "the straw that broke the camel's back."

"Does any of this have to do with my Christian integrity?" asked . "This has nothing to do with me as a Christian. It was fun, it was joking, it was a prank and that's the bottom line."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home