If you have ever wondered, "What would Michael Gray think about this-and-that" or "I'd like to consult Michael on such-and-such" then you have definitely come to the right place. These are my thoughts on life.

March 31, 2005

Humane Starvation?

The recent issues surrounding the Terri Schiavo case have hit me square in the gut and have completely knocked the wind out of me. I am not one of those who is always against removing life support from a suffering individual, but I am also not one of those who hail Michael Schaivo's actions as heroic acts in defense of civil rights.

What gets me the most about this issue is the fact that Schiavo, who endured undeniable brain injury, was not in a coma, but lived in a seeming state of at least minimal consciousness. In conjunction with this, no one had any undeniable proof that Terri was, as her husband said, against being kept alive by artificial means.

The reason why Terri was denied any and all forms of nourishment escapes me completely. I guess I could better understand the idea that Terri would have to try to live by eating and drinking on her own, but I do not understand how anyone could deny her nourishment in any form. That's like taking someone off of a ventilator and, seeing them begin to breathe on their own, smother them with a pillow. That is insane. At the very least, Terri should have had the opportunity to eat under her own power.

Instead, this woman was sentenced to death based on one man's claim that she would not have wanted to live like she was living. Why her husband didn't simply relinquish his rights to Terri's parents is also beyond me. They were willing to spend the time and money to care for her, and he wasn't. He wanted her dead and he spared no expense to make sure it was done.

Makes you wonder if Mr. Schiavo wanted her dead for fear that she may recover well enough to spill the beans about any possible assault or attempted murder on his part. Why else would someone go through all this trouble to see that another person is eliminated? If this theory holds any water whatsoever, then my wife was accurate when she said that, "this was the perfect murder."

We wouldn't even do this to sick dogs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question in my mind is why after 15 years does she suddenly not want to live in a state of vegitation any longer? Did she wake up one day and say, "You know, this feeding tube makes me look fat. I quit!" I don't think so. I think Mr. Schiavo was tired of her hanging around and wanted to get on with his life without having her as baggage. Besides, on the chance that she got better, she might rat him out!

The other thing that seems odd to me is the fact that Mr. Schiavo kicked Terri's brother and sister out of her room during her final moments. His lawyer said it was so Terri could die in peace in a room filled with love. LOVE?!?! It was two shakes of a lambs tail before her creep of a husband was shacking up with his girlfriend back in 1990. The only thing he loves is himself. It's sad that Terri's last few moments on earth were spent with the person that probably had no love for her and went out of his way to kill her.

Had Mr. Peterson gone to the Schiavo School of Spousal Murder before killing Laci, he may have gotten away with bumping off his wife as well. I recommend the following title for Schiavo's book when it comes out: "How to Kill the Spouse you Hate in Under 15 Years"

I appreciate a President and Congress that value life enough to try to save hers, and my sympathy goes out to Terri's real family who wanted her to live.

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home