If you have ever wondered, "What would Michael Gray think about this-and-that" or "I'd like to consult Michael on such-and-such" then you have definitely come to the right place. These are my thoughts on life.

January 24, 2006

Grim Grinning Ghosts



Most of you know that I am a Dis freak. If you are wondering what a Dis freak is, then you have stumbled upon the blog of the wrong Michael Gray. Good luck finding the one you were looking for. For those of you who understand the lingo, please keep reading.

My friend Jason Palmer (a fellow freak) told me of a friend of his who did a cover of one of the best Disneyland ride theme songs in existence -- "Grim Grinning Ghosts" from The Haunted Mansion. If you have heard and enjoy the version done by The Barenaked Ladies (the band, not the actual barenaked ladies you see out there nowadays) then I think you will be impressed with this version. I wish that I could actually link it here, but I cannot. Instead, I will link you to his page on soundclick.com. To go there,
click here.

The
guitarist's name is Jason Croyle and he does a great job with the guitar. Here is what he says about this song:


This is a cover of the theme from Disneyland's Haunted Mansion attraction, written by Xavier Atencio and Buddy Baker. I arranged and recorded the song for my wife in August 2005 in anticipation of our 6th anniversary trip to Disneyland.

The song features a Fender Stratocaster that I briefly owned and customized, as well as my Peavey Millennium bass and my wife's Yamaha DGX-200 keyboard. I played all guitar, bass, and keyboard parts, and programmed the drum track using a combination of set patterns from the keyboard and one-shots.

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Dis, can't we all see the pic of you and Princess Aurora?

6:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Michael.

Jason (Palmer) told me about your blog, so I thought I'd pop in and say "hi." Thanks for posting a link to the song! I had fun recording it, and I certainly appreciate the kind words.

Take care,

Jason (Croyle)

6:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crowd chants - "Aurora, Aurora, Aurora, Aurora..."
chanting continues, louder now - "We want Aurora, We want Aurora, We want Aurora"

The people have spoken, you must give them what they want!

3:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home